With race schedules in place for 2019, we started to experiment before our big races of the year to figure out the best race essentials. We decided to test this out at the New Orleans Rock n' Roll Marathon and Half Marathon. At the start of the race, we had a phone, 2 gels and sport beans.
Along the way we picked up things at the aid stations, eager to try new things out and see what worked. We were also testing to see if we could fill every pocket and still carry more than a running belt. Here's how the marathon ended up:
- Mile 8.5 - Picked up sport gels and put them in the side legging pocket.
- Mile 10 - Ate a sport gel.
- Mile 12 - Took a jelly shot at the aid station. Picked up a Sport gel.
- Mile 15 - Ate a sport gel
- Mile 17.5 - Picked up more sport gels at the aid station and put them into the other side legging pocket.
- Mile 19 - Picked up another gel and put it into the side back zipper pocket of the shirt.
- Mile 20 - Ate a sport gel and picked up gels, refilling the side legging pocket.
- Mile 22 - Took a banana from the aid station, put it in the side back zipper pocket of the shirt.
At the finish, we ended with many leftover but had not filled every pocket on the shirt and leggings.
Total Count at the finish 7 gels, 1 banana, 1 pack of sport beans.
Next race: 50 mile trail race in April.
Photos features: Berryman Running Shirt and 50 mile 3/4 leggings (coming soon).